Monday, January 17, 2011

In Bloom





Here is what's in bloom at our house right now.
 Our African Violet.



We received the African Violet as a gift from one of Christopher's friends a few summers ago. 
Our Begonia has been in full bloom since early summer.  
It keeps growing like crazy and I keep trimming it back.  This is such an amazing plant.  This has been passed down via cuttings in Christopher's family for generations. 
Here is my baby Peace Lily - I broke a small piece off one from the office to start my own. Isn't it cute?
Of course I have my oxalis regnelli
and oxalis triangularis.
This is the plant that originally blossomed my love for plants a few years ago.
I use to have an amazing collection of oxalises.  At one point I had 22 different varieties.  I had to force most of them into dormancy when we moved from Wyoming to Maryland in 2009.  Later that year the house we were renting in the woods did not give enough light to bring the plants back to their full potential.  I would like to get my collection up and blooming again one day.  Here are some of my favorites I have grown in the past...
Oxalis
 tetraphylla aka Iron Cross.  
I don't know what is more stunning, the gorgeous delicate flowers 



or the unique foliage.

Oxalis Lobata, oh how I loved this one.  The lobata is one of the most beautiful flowers on any oxalis I have grown. The delicate flowers were about the size of the tip of your finger.
The leaves were tiny and unique, unlike the oxalis triangularis I was use to growing.  
The oxalis versicolor was another unique flower.  It looked like stripped candy canes when the flowers closed at night.
The oxalis obtusa bloomed huge flowers. I had one in pink and one in lavender. 
Oxalis hedysaroides aka Rubra aka Fire Fern.  This one is a beauty.  This one is the most fascinating house plants I have had the pleasure of growing.  
It likes full sun and low humidity.  Although in contradiction, it likes high humidity to get the flowers to start blooming.  It took a lot of research to keep this one alive for as long as I did.  The maroon leaves are similar to the triangularis and regnelli, as they move with the sun throughout the day.  This particular oxalis has a 90 degree leaf movement.  It produces the most delicate yellow flowers which look amazing in contrast to the maroon leaves.  
Unlike other oxalises, this oxalis doesn't go dormant.  The life span of this particular plant is about 3 to 4 years.  It can be cut and cultivated before it outgrows it pot and dies.  Life was busy this summer (it's 4th year) and much to my disappointment I did not take a cutting to propagate before it was too late.  It bloomed in full force all spring and summer as if it knew it was its last summer for us to enjoy together.  
Yes, I love my houseplants!  I don't like to buy plants just to fill an empty corner in my house.  I love each of my plants (although I am only featuring some that bloom) and love to research each plant so I understand what it needs to thrive in our home.  Do you have a favorite houseplant?  I love the ones that bloom all year... it's like a little bit of spring in the middle of winter which makes me smile.
Linking up to Tracy's Bokeh Party!
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. You certainly have a green thumb! Can you please come to my house and help me with my plants!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should frame some of the flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tierney, that's a great idea I should do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what great flowers and plants and photos of them all. Thanks for linking up. The ones of the oxalis versicolor are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! Flowers and plants seem to be the perfect subject for bokeh photography. Lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have some really pretty plants that seem to be thriving! Your bokeh shots are great. My african violet has not rebloomed. I think I should have fed it and did not. Is it too late?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so green and lovely. Spring in your house..thanks for sharing.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! I wish I could keep plants in my house but I have two nosey dogs and a nosey cat! Thank you for your comment on my photos as well! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like seeing the blossom right before it unfurls. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see your photos from MD, especially the oxalis. I am in snow-covered Pennsylvania, but the temperature suddenly shot up and I managed to find some flowers outside. Happy GBBD, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some gorgeous plants here...I love your photos of all of them...beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so jealous of your Oxalis versicolor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos of your beautiful plants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aloha,

    i'm loving all your indoor blooms especially your oxalis collection - i'm so fond of triangularis also

    thanks for sharign these

    ReplyDelete