Saturday, February 12, 2011

Antique Desk Makeover

We were given this antique slant top desk from my husband's family
It's a very neat piece of furniture.  I spent a lot of time hating it at first because I didn't have anywhere to put it or anything to do with it.  It spent some time as an art desk for Chloe.  Now it sits in a corner of our dining room.  I usually keep bottles of wine on top and miscellaneous stuff inside.
I decided it was ready for a makeover.  I wanted to paint it a teal to match the color in the curtains, but my dining room has enough blue already.... so I decided on red.
Here's what she looks like now
After two coats of Sherwin Williams Luxurious Red, then I did some glazing and distressing.  I then rubbed some wonderful steel wool all over it to blend the glazed look.  To finish her off, I put on some Johnson paste finishing wax. My dresser feels so incredibly smooth from the finishing wax that I have been dying to use more!
I love how the glaze stays in all of the nooks and gives the entire desk an antique look.
 What do you think of my little red desk? I was worried about the color, but after some glazing it is exactly what I wanted!  I took my boring little desk...
to something with a lot more character...
Now I don't know how to accessorize it... any ideas?
Seriously, if you have never used paste finishing wax then you have no idea what you are missing.  I love how smooth my dresser and desk are.... they are so smooth it just makes me so freaking happy!
There's a little red for you all for Valentine's Day.  Any special Valentines Day plans this weekend?  My husband bought me hockey tickets to see the Philadelphia Flyers!! We are spending the day in Philly tomorrow and I can't wait!!!

**UPDATE** I tried a few different accessory ideas and a few suggestions from my readers -- I put some cookbooks with an insulator (from my small collection) on top, a bottle of wine, a picture frame and a cutting from my begonia.
What do you think of this? Honest... any ideas on what to do differently?  I don't really like this, it looks too clutter... it wont stay this way. Less is better. 

Pin It

59 comments:

  1. Oh I love how that turned out. I will trey paste finishing wax sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it before, but I'll definitely look for it. Your desk turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I have never used paste wax before. The red is so pretty (it's my favorite color). I would try adding small pretty books and a small picture frame for accessories. Post another pic after you've put your accessories on it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out great. I love the idea of the wine bottles on top of it. Could you prop the top open and make it stay open? Then accessorize the inside? Maybe a large flower arrangement or collection of some sort?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really like that red paint on that old desk...very good job! Mel's Cabin visited your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick on the color red! Looks fantastic. Paste wax is the best! Every once and awhile we use it on our kitchen table to protect the finish and keep it beautiful :)
    Go Flyers...we are big Flyers fans here!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the color very much and it seems to fit in great with your curtains

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously love this! The color turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it really turned out great. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erika, that turned out so good. Love the red and yes I love the paste wax, too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color! It turned out gorgeous! I love the paste wax, too and use it on everything. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are always creative. I also have a used rack and will turn it to another look. Thanks for inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job, coming from Debs and so glad I made the trip worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is super sweet!!! I love it in that color and it really does look wonderful.
    Happy Valentine's Day.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It really looks great. It reminds me of a Bob Cratchett/Tiny Tim type desk with an inkwell and quill pens on it. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful & timeless. What a great piece you have, I love the new red color! Happy to have found your blog via Funky Junk & glad to be a new follower. Please share your creativity with my followers, link to my blog bash K.I.S.S. :)

    http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the desk and the red, I have a slanted top desk in my livingiroom, at first I painted it a barn red when I was into prim decorating, now it is white. I'd try a small lamp which I have on mine:)

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  18. The desk is fantastic. I love it. So pretty and you've displayed it beautifully. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love what you did with it! We have an antique secretary's desk that's hiding in a closet... but now I may have to pull it out & do something with it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the color you chose for your desk. Red is my favorite color!! I'm so glad you joined Terrific Under Ten Tuesday today! thank you!

    Oh and I love your blog name. I should of named my blog Kindra-with an I...my name is always mispelled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice transformation! Red was the perfect color for this sweet desk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Her makeover is looking great...you did an awesome! Hop over and show her off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see ya there:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. the color was just perfectfor it! i love the rustic red! it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great red! Totally want to try the paste finishing wax. I always keep accessories to a minimum, so I might not be the one to ask. :) I would do a single leafy plant in the center. It brings life to the space and allows the artwork and desk to take center stage. Digging the fabric on those drapes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I Love It! You did an amazing job and the color is perfect! Gives it a compeltely new look!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love the red! Perfectly aged for a school desk! Great job.
    p.s. Hope you can check out the giveaway for a free printable of your choice! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job, Erika! Red was a great choice on the color!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love red furniture. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The desk really looks amazing. Love the color. Thanks so much for dropping by and joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Erika, thanks for sharing this beauty at the party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. turned out great, love all things red! thanks for sharing this at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE this!!! Love for you to Link it up at Whassup Wednesday!!!

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome job on this antique desk..of course I liked it before also ha ha!! I have a slant top school desk and I put an empty jar on the inside of it to made the top level so I could use the top of it..hey it works great for me..been that way for over 20 years now..I use it as a night stand...Thanks for sharing Hugs and smiles Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for linkin up at Whassup! Hope you will be back every Wednesday!! I have a FUN Button for the linky and would LOVE for you to Grab it :0) Have a BLESSED week...

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the desk, what a great color and finish!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an improvement! Sometimes playing around with the accessories to see what works best can be so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a sweet little desk! Have you thought about hanging a mirror over it and placing a smallish candlestick lamp on it to reflect the light?

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have one of those that my step dad made that I have been trying to figure out what to do with. I love the red paint on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That looks so great! I love that color what a difference it makes. I am looking at this after you added accessories...I would remove the paperback books, they don't look 'right' maybe some old books would look better. Otherwise it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love that little desk! I also love those colors in your draperies!! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The red is beautiful...I usually don't loooove red but I do on this piece! I think it's because you managed to make it a perfect shade of red :)

    Thank you so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! I always look forward to what you're going to link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. You did a beautiful job! Love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is a gorgeous little desk. I love the red! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great desk! It really turned out great.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  45. I need me some finishing paste...pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a great piece! Thanks for linking up to Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love the red Erika! And the idea of turning a desk into a side table!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow - beautiful! Thanks for linking up to Simple Joys!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the desk! It's always interesting to see what people do with antiques. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. luv how you gave it new life :)
    Don't forget to add this project in our linking party where every Wednesday we showcase projects for our readers to discover.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/colours-of-spring-be-inspired-linking.html
    Thank you,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. I featured you this week!!! LittleEme.blogspot.com
    Come check it out and grab your featured button! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks very interesting blog!

    Also visit my blog post: vakantiehuis frankrijk - -

    ReplyDelete